Sunday 29 July 2012

Watford Bed & Breakfast

PLEASE DO NOT USE WATFORD BED AND BREAKFAST, 184 / 186 WHIPPENDELL ROAD, WATFORD, HERTFORDSHIRE WD18 7NA.


The purpose of this blog is to warn people about the terrible service I recently received when attempting to book a room at the above establishment, and why I feel that Watford Bed & Breakfast do not deserve to be in business.


On Thursday July 19th I contacted Watford Bed & Breakfast by telephone and spoke to a chap called Charlie. My intention was to book a room for the following night, July 20th. Charlie told me that a room but would be available, "but you will have to call back tomorrow to confirm". I explained that I would rather get confirmation today, rather than travel over a hundred miles only to find that there were no rooms available. Reluctantly, with an attitude as if he was doing me a favour, Charlie agreed the booking and I agreed that I would call him the next day when en route to give him an idea of my ETA.

The next day I called Charlie and, realising that my arrival in Watford was likely to be mid afternoon, I asked what the earliest time I would be able to check into Watford Bed & Breakfast would be. Charlie told me that 5 o' clock would be okay, and even though my train would be in shortly after three I had no problem with his time, as 5 pm is a very reasonable time to check into a B&B in my opinion.

And so I arrived in Watford and set about killing the two hour gap between my arrival and the check in time at Watford Bed & Breakfast. Although I had a large rucksack on my back and was feeling somewhat worn out, at least I had the promise of a relaxing shower and a comfy room at five o' clock. Or so I thought!

I began the walk from the town centre up towards Watford Bed & Breakfast in plenty of time, as I wasn't 100% sure how far up Whippendell Road the place was. Since it turned out that Watford Bed & Breakfast was actually a fair way out, I found myself to be rather desperately in need of the loo by the time I arrived at 184 / 186 Whippendell Road. It was a few minutes before five so, rather than be early and perhaps cause a hassle I waited patiently until it was on the dot of 5 pm, before knocking the door.

No answer. Oh well, not to worry, there was a sign up saying "call this number if no response", it was the same number that I already had, 07901 606295. The first time I called there was no answer but the second attempt Charlie picked up the phone saying, "Watford Bed & Breakfast?". I explained who I was, where I was and asked why there was no one there. By this time it was about 3 or 4 minutes past 5. With no apology whatsoever, Charlie said that he would not be able to get to Watford Bed & Breakfast for about another twenty minutes. Whilst I was disappointed that he had made no attempt to contact me, and even though by this stage my bladder was about bursting, I decided to give Charlie and Watford Bed & Breakfast the benefit of the doubt and waited for the amount of time he had told me. But after twenty five minutes, a little before 5.30, I decided to give up on him and wander off.

A few minutes later he called and I explained that the service offered by Watford Bed & Breakfast simply wasn't good enough. Charlie agreed and, for the first time, actually apologised. So credit where it's due for once there at least! I told him that I would be writing this blog about Watford Bed & Breakfast (Charlie didn't sound too bothered, it seemed like he'd already given up on Watford Bed & Breakfast as a bad idea) and so my experience came to an end. Luckily I was able to find somewhere else to stay that night, the much more welcoming and helpful Wellington Arms Hotel on the other side of town.

1 comment: